On line learning update
First and foremost, we hope that you are well and staying healthy. As you are aware, Alberta’s government has introduced a series of new COVID-19 measures. These provincial decisions were made after careful consideration and are based on the advice of Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health.
All students at Turner Valley School and in Foothills School Division will temporarily shift to at-home learning effective Friday, May 7th, 2021. The last day of in-person learning is Thursday, May 6th, 2021. We hope that in-person learning may resume on Tuesday, May 25th, 2021.
What you can expect:
- Students will attend regular classes on Thursday, May 6th, 2021. The homeroom teacher will direct your child as to what supplies to bring home for the next two weeks.
- There is no school work assigned for Friday, May 7th.
- On Friday, May 7th, you will receive an on-line learning plan and schedule by 3:00 p.m. This will outline the learning plan for your child from May 10th-24th, 2021.
- Monday, May 10th, on-line learning begins at home.
The learning plans will focus primarily on literacy and numeracy work, though additional subjects may also be covered (or offered as optional). The learning day for K- Grade 3 students will begin at 8:30 a.m. with an online session and attendance. The learning day for Grade 4-6 students will begin at 9:00 a.m. with an online session and attendance. Though each teacher’s day plan may look slightly different, our teachers and staff will be available from 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
every day. We anticipate that the quantity of learning will be more substantial then when we did this last Spring.
We are mindful that not everyone will have the technology required to support learning online from home, and are prepared to loan out devices as needed. These devices are Acer Chromebooks, and the students will be quite familiar with how to use them. Please follow the following process in order to secure a device.
- Please email Mr. Hayden at email@example.com to request a device. To ensure that you can pick up your device prior to Friday, please send this email by 2:00 p.m. on Thursday afternoon.
- Device pick-up times will be as follows:
- Thursday, May 6th from 3:15-5:30 p.m. at the front door of TVS.
- Friday, May 7th starting at 7:15 a.m. at the front door of TVS (the school will be open until 3:00 p.m. Friday to pick up).
- Monday, May 10th starting at 7:15 a.m. at the front door of TVS (the school will be open until 3:00 p.m. Monday to pick up).
- Please note that I will need to have a parent sign for the device and am not able to simply send the device home with students. If you are absolutely not able to pick up the device at the times mentioned, include it in your email and we can find a mutually agreeable time to meet.
- Devices will need to be returned on Tuesday, May 25th when students return to in-person learning. They will be inspected upon return, so please be mindful to take care of the devices!
Please trust that we are committed to working with you and your children to ensure that learning continues over the next few weeks from home. Your support and flexibility is greatly appreciated.
More school information along with the learning plans will come home on Friday.
Take care and stay safe.
Leah, Ryan and the staff at Turner Valley School